We just received word that the Stained Glass Window Restoration Project at the Community Church of Douglaston (Long Island) has been completed. The FHL Foundation made a $50,000 grant in support of this project. The Foundation’s founder, Fritz Leonhardt, was a longtime resident of Douglaston and he and his family regularly attended services at CCD. Back in the 1950s, Fritz was instrumental in making a grant to establish the Leonhardt Chapel at CCD. Today many of the children’s programs take place at the Leonhardt Chapel.
The window restoration project went off without a hitch. It really is amazing that the company that originally made and installed the window in 1928—J & R Lamb Studios—is still in business and was able to do the restoration work. The window will be rededicated at a special service on Sunday November 5th, 2017. The window will be rededicated in the memory of Rev. John H. Meyer, who led CCD for almost 30 years and passed just over a year ago. For more information on the Good Shepherd Window Rededication, visit the church’s web site.